Saturday, October 23, 2010

Smoggy air

So neighboring Indonesia (Sumatra) has been burning trees for the past 4 days. They're clearning land and apparently they do it every year. Burning is the option that they choose year after year because of the cost- it's cheap. Well, the wind blows all the smoke into Singapore so we have this constant fog/haze that smells like burning wood. It gets into your lungs and makes your eyes burn a little. I can't wait until it's over! Naidah calls it the flu- and she hates it. She says that she remembers the fog ever since she has been alive- 22 years. Indonesia is causing so much pollution- let alone where all those animals are going??

It's going to be a quick posting tonight- tired- and Lawrence- sorry that our schedules never lined up- the time difference to Minnesota was not on our side. Do you know anything about "the burning" for land clearning? And what about the traffic in Indonesia? My friend Tom told me today that the traffic in Bali is nothing compared to Jakarta. Denise- I know you said that the traffic is crazy--and that was 20 years ago! I guess some things don't change.

Hope all is well with everyone...xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dani,

    Sorry I missed your call. If you're around on Sunday, give me a call anytime. I'm back on the east coast.

    Yep, they burn and cut down a lot of trees in Indonesia. It's not the most environmentally-friendly country, but what are you going to do about a 3rd world country that has such lax government regulations.

    As for traffic in Jakarta, it's horrendous. It's 100 times worse than in DC...I don't know what traffic you're complaining about in Bali. When I was there, there was never any traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lax government regulations...yep. Let's hope they save the tigers. Finally saw Eat, Pray, Love.

    ReplyDelete