Saturday, October 30, 2010

Busy bee

Wow...this week was pretty darn busy followed by a busy weekend. I'm just sitting down to write after my first race here in Singapore.

Let me start with the week. It started Sunday night when I went out with Akira and Sydney (his girlfriend) to a chef friend's place near Little India. This place had an amazing pool. There was even a separate pool with underwater workout equiptment- like a treadmill for double resistance (and less pounding on the joints). Back to the party--there were a ton of chefs there from other posh restuarants in Singapore including the head chef at Wolfgang Puck's, which is a restaurant opening up at the Marina Bay Sands Hotel. Google the Marina Bay Sands Hotel--it's pretty famous here in Singapore- it's the 2 buildings with the "boat" on top. It has this "infinity pool" in the boat--the pictures make the pool look scary like you're going to fall 40 stories off the top of the building. One of my students' mothers is the general manager there. My student wants to go on a field trip there ;)

Well, Akira and Sydney told me that the chefs at this party were chefs from celebrity chef and shows like that on TV. I don't know any of those shows- so it didn't faze me that much. The chefs seemed to be having a good time because Sunday is usually their only day off. Work hard in the kitchen, party hard with food and alcohol on Sundays. I guess that's what they do. I didn't end up getting home too late because it was a school night, but I ended up taking Akira and Sydney to the Banana Leaf Apolo restuarant in Little India because we were all hungry and I knew that this restaurant is good. It's a recommendation from Niko Molinos, also, so I knew it would be good when I first got here to Singapore. It was nice to be able to show necomers a place- like I've been living here a while or something. I'm so glad for a Farmington person!!

Monday night I went to Eat, Pray, Love with Nadiah after school. I liked the movie and it was fun to see Italy and Bali- both places I went to. Now I'll have to get to India at some point.

Tuesday I met up with Sydney and Akira for dinner. I had them try Din Tai Fung (dumplings) and they were awesome. Sydney is getting adjusted to being here in Singapore...Akira seems like he's the same wherever he is. Too funny.

Wednesday I went to our school play at SAS (totally seemed like a professional production) of Grease, but I left early cause I was stressing about getting miles in for this 10 K race I just did. It's like you have to do your homework (putting in the miles) if you don't want to feel like crap on race day! Also...you have to adjust to the climate, which was difficult. But more on that later...The grease production was excellent and I loved the third grade school counselor's son in the play--totally sounded like the counselor, who helped us with our class play! Carmine (the school counselor), told me that the performers had been practicing this production since the first day of school (August 15) for 2 hours after school- 5 days a week and 6 days a week in the month of October. That is dedication! It paid off and these high schoolers were super talented! Reminded me of mhy high school days when we would do stuff like that...good old FHS (similar to SAS in many ways)...

Thursday- meeting after school and just ran--but getting very tired...
Friday saw Grease AGAIN! because I missed a lot of it on Wednesday and I wanted to watch it not stressed out.

So much more--but those friends and other people reading that are like, "why is she just talking about her days"?? Just ignore all that stuff....I'm keeping people I usually talk to daily up to date with what's going on so they know why I'm not in touch--there aren't enough hours in the day!

I ran a 10 K this morning with the teacher that works next door to me and it was my first Singapore race. It was sooo hot! Truly don't know if I would be able to do a half marathon here...the climate is difficult. Carmine has done a midnight marathon here. He said it was so humid he was sweating before the race began--at midnight. He said it was hotter than during the day. Was all the heat trapped or something???

Anyway, Happy Halloween everyone- I'm running out of steam and need to recharge! I also saw dragon boat racing on my way home from from the race...I'll talk more about that next time, but it looks cool. XOXO. This is more like a journal entry than a blog! How do we define blog anyway? I saw The Social Network last night, too. Makes you think!! Loved those North Face jackets--felt like I was HOME!




No comments:

Post a Comment