Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Day #3- Already Day 3!

So...the running has still been good. Gotta keep up the running and all the other stuff because my third graders are now motivated to do triathlons! How adorable...you never know who you are going to motivate with your stories! I had a parent today tell me that he daughter wants to do a triathlon....that's how you inspire!

So I was out to dinner with some of the teachers that have been at SAS for 2 years already (mainly the "single girls") and one of them- a high school english teacher- was talking about her curriculum and class. She was talking about child soldiers and her class- some grade in high school- not sure which grade because she teaches all of them- and they read one of my favorite books, A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah. I was sort of suprised that high schoolers are reading this book, but as I'm coming to find out and you'll, in turn, come to find out, that "this is SAS". SAS seems to be on the cutting edge of a lot, and as our Superintendent told us at one point, these kids are the future leaders of tomorrow. I truly believe that. Anyway, this is a random connection, but I'm writing about child soldiers and this high school class because there is a program on the history channel on child soliders and Ishmael Beah was just featured on it. I haven't seen his face since I've seen my book which is in my shipment and when Becca and I went to see him speak at Politics and Prose before we read his book. What a coincidence that I was talking about child soldiers this week and it's on the history channel. It must be something people are learning about and coming to terms with that unfortunately, child soldiers exist. Education will hopefully help. Another note: all of the high school students do their English work on laptops: submit their papers on laptops, take their notes in class on laptops, etc. This is SAS! (And this laptop thing just started this year)- Can you imagine?? I have to admit-I love using all of the technology in my classroom :)

A theme from the history channel: kids are kids- kids are similar all over the world- my kids do "the cheese touch" from Diary of a Wimpy Kid just like my fourth graders did last year. It's weird to me that I am going to be teaching addition and subtraction this year- I've never taught math this young- I better get better at my mental math!!! Right Heather and Maya!

Love you--miss DC. But I have to go with this amazing opportunity here! If only MY FAMILY actually read my blog! Haha...My day is ending and yours is beginning!

Bonne nuit.

4 comments:

  1. You hurt my feelings. Waaah. I read your blogs all the time. Sounds like you are having a blast. Haven't seen you on Skype lately. Get up early Sat. morning your time. Your family will be here for Lobster Fest 2010. We'll skype you 7ish. Later, Freya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep writing, friends and family are reading!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha Denise and Kareen- I was basically talking about my mom and dad---they need to read!!!! will write more--love you guys- im glad you're reading!! tell my mom and dad to hop on the computer and read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading. People are most likely reading, but not commenting. Love, Mom aka Anonymous. Karen, how did you get your name on your Post ??

    ReplyDelete