So, yesterday I went into my classroom when nobody was there. It was Saturday and I wanted to get some things done that I wasn't able to do during the week. It was actually nice being there when no other teachers were there so work quietly and on my own. My classroom is shaping up and the full staff comes to work this upcoming Tuesday, August 10- my dad's bday. Tomorrow is my Aunt Karen's birthday! Happy birthday guys!!
Anyway, I'm writing about my classroom because that's when the "down" came. I was "up" by all that I had accomplished, and then I went to look at my i phone for my phone number to give to a travel agent for getting home for Christmas, and it was off. It wouldn't turn on. It wouldn't accept a charge with my charger. That phone is my life!! I know I sound so dramatic, which, yes, I am- and so my new friend, Tom, is finding out. So, I luckily had my other i phone that I had jailbroken before I came to Singapore- and texted Tom about my finding because I was going over his new house. He knows how much I love and am addicted to my phone. For those of you that know, I've become very addicted to this i phone thing. I was super sad when it wouldn't turn on. So- I took the MRT after I left my classroom to the place where I bought my phone. They told me to contact Apple. So- this was similar to one of my i phone situations in DC (no- not when I left it on the Metro...!!) when it just wouldn't turn on. I was thinking I was going to have to wait like more than a month to get this "spoiled" i phone replaced- but wait to see what happens soon.
So, Starhub (the place where I got the i phone 4), didn't help then. So- I went to Tom's. Tom is an 8th grade math teacher who's 42 and taught in Turkey and Indonesia. He's a mid-western boy from Indiana with 3 brothers. He has gray hair but dyes it blonde because he doesn't like the gray. I say go natural! Anyway, Tom got a place in Bukit Timah which is not city-like and next to the nature reserve here in Singapore. You can sometimes see monkeys running down the street. It's very nice. So Tom finally was able to move into his place after getting it painted and his shipment delivered and a lot of his furniture was handmade in Indonesia. It was pretty cool. He has modern paintings on the walls and it's nice looking out the windows to huge trees. The nature reserve is rainforest. Our friend Dan- 36, teaches high school business studies, came over Tom's to head over to my colleage, Susan's, husband's surprise 50th birthday party at this restaurant called the Firestation. The atmosphere was beautiful and it was right near Tom's house. Other SAS people came and it was fun hanging out with everyone. I was forgetting about the phone.
So...the party was fun and Dan and I got a taxi home. Dan is still staying in the Orchard hotel because his place is not ready yet and I live near the hotel we were staying at when we arrived to Singapore. So...onto my next bit because now I have to leave. Today, I woke up wanting to see if I could get my phone fixed. I thought I had everything with me and--bam! I closed my door without my keys. My keys were on the kitchen table! Of course there is only 1 set of keys, so I thought I was going to have to call a locksmith. Then I came up with a creative solution. I called Dan. "Hey Dan- this is sort of a funny situation, but do you think you could come over and hoist me up through my window to get inside my apartment to unlock it?" Dan agreed- thought we were going to get arrested, and he did end up hoisting me up through my unlocked window to get into my apartment. No locksmith required. So...just for your peace of mind- I now know how to lock my windows :) Plus the minister mentor (who started this country) of the President of Singapore lives on the street next to me so there is tons of security.
That's all I have time for now.....i phone troubles and getting hoisted through my window! Wahoo! Oh- the i phone works now, too! I took it to a different place and they helped me- so it wasn't completely a waste of a phone!
xoxoxo.
Dani
No comments:
Post a Comment