Monday, March 18, 2013

Sickness and Health

So I've been "out" from working out (gym, pilates, Boot Camp, ballet- yes it seems like I do a lot) for about three weeks already.  I've got the dreaded Mycoplasma that people from northern latitudes seem to catch here in the tropics.  Mycoplasma, for me, makes me extremely tired and not my usual energetic self.  It's sort of like a mono, as we would know in the States, but sort of worse.  Mycoplasma can knock you down for quite some time.  You take antibiotics to help kick the "infection", but something about Mycoplasma stays in your blood, unfortunately, forever.  I've gotten a reoccurrence of the infection every year since I have been in Singapore, and usually around the same time.  My running ragged must catch up with me by February/March.  Hence some of those "exhaustion" blog entries in 2011.  At that time, I didn't even know what Mycoplasma was.  There is a lot to go on and on about Mycoplasma, but I'm literally sick of it by now and I can't wait until it's gone!  For me, Mycoplasma means quality couch time, which usually only occurs when I'm sick.  Sometimes my Mycoplasma is a blessing in disguise.

Switching to more positive topics; there's one week until Spring Break at SAS and I'm looking forward to that as a healthy time.  Sleeping in, meeting up with friends, doing what I want, resting.  It's a welcome break without travel that helps to detox the soul.  Last year (which I did not write about because I skipped blogging for about two years), I spent my Spring Break in Israel.  Traveling to Israel was one of the best trips I've had so far.  I traveled alone and to visit one of my sister's childhood friends who was living in Tel Aviv at the time.  Even just the plane experience on Lufthansa was an adventure in itself because I was alone.  Usually when you're alone, you pay more attention.  At least I do.  The gate from Frankfurt to Tel Aviv seemed a bit intimidating.  Security was high and to me and it felt like I was headed to a war-torn country.  At the time, I could have been.  Tensions were high with Iran and Israel and Iran were in the news everyday leading up to my Spring Break departure.  I know this region has much deep-seeded conflict, but when I actually entered Tel Aviv, it felt so "safe".  So much of the international news describes the conflicts between Israel and Palestine and I was happy to not have to experienced any rocket attacks (Steph had when she was near Gaza).  I learned tons in Tel Aviv from the people living there and I loved, loved, loved the lifestyle.  People were bold and didn't really care (from what I gathered).  Live life to the fullest because you never know if you're going to war.  There was also an unbelievable amount of dogs in Tel Aviv.  My friend Steph had a puppy, Munchie, and Munchie became one of the highlights of my trip.  We took Munchie everywhere with us.  On a walking tour of Tel Aviv with Fritz de Wit, to the Dead Sea and Jerusalem, everywhere.  Dogs are definitely training for having babies.  It was quite an ordeal to pack up the car (we actually had two dogs traveling with us) and exit the car with all of the stuff, so I was patient.  The weather (in March), scenery, food, people, history, sites, were just in a world of their own.  Of course I loved the pita and hummus, but also Shashuka.  Someone I knew wanted to name their future dog "Shashuka".  You'll have to look up what Shashuka is if you don't know. The Mycoplasma is now kicking in and I'm done typing. :)

So in sickness and health, the world still goes round.  There are so many memories to capture on here of the places I have been and this is just a start.  There is so much more about Israel.  If you ever have the chance one day to go, go.  It's a place I will always remember and think back to time and again because of its significance and the time in my life that I made that trip.  I have the tattoo now to remind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment