Friday, September 10, 2010

Hari Raya Puasa, literally “Celebration Day of Fasting”)

Today is Hari Raya Puasa and recognized by Singapore as a public holiday. It is a Muslim holiday that marks the end of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month of “Puasa” (fasting).

My aide, Nadiah, will finally be able to eat during the day! She has been working at school with me for a month and has been fasting- meaning she doesn't eat or drink anything during the daylight hours! I can't even imagine...but the suffering is supposed to bring Muslims closer to Allah. It's like Lent for Catholics, except we give up one thing for 40 days. Today is a day of celebration for Nadiah and the other Muslims in Singapore (mainly the Malay people), and it's like Christmas for us! I gave her a nice card with $$ in it. She was appreciative.

So we didn't have school today and I haven't left my apartment ALL DAY! My body is saying "stay put and rest!!" so that is what I am doing. One of my colleagues has a birthday tonight- she's turning 30- so my friends and I are going out near the Raffles Hotel. I'm not going to make it a crazy weekend like last weekend. And my birthday is coming up! My friends and I are planning on going to the Night Safari tomorrow night at the Singapore Zoo for my bday. I've not been yet and I'm looking forward to this new experience! Hoepfully it won't rain and I'll remember my 29th bday :)

My kids continue to be really cute and all the work is worth it. I'm so busy during the week though, it's a little maddening! I just have to know how to pace myself....

Lots of love- will update about my bday.

Danielle/Dani

3 comments:

  1. Hari Raya Puasa is exactly the same as in Indonesian. If you pick up some Malay, you can travel all over Indonesia. Btw, I always thought it was funny that my mom always told me about the Hotel Raffles b/c she pronounced it Rafeles and when I saw that place with my own eyes, I saw the way it was spelled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss you Freya!! So glad you are enjoying all the experiences. What stuff - not people, but things - do you miss? You will be missing the smell of fall in Connecticut. I remember mailing a bunch of leaves in a zip-lock bag down to Paul when he lived in Miami. He thought I was crazy at the time - and so I am.
    Keep blogging - we are reading!
    Love,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys! Thanks for the comments! Ah- it was insane last week- probably because I didn't get enough sleep- so I had to quite blogging to get what i needed to get done and then survive. I'll do a blog tonight, but it might not be that good. Denise- mail me some leaves!! Hahaha...I was thinking today "ooh- there are some leaves on the ground- maybe it's fall!!!" but, no, they were just leaves on the ground. that fell from rain. anyway! lawrence- i wish i knew some malay! maybe my aide can teach me some. so funny about your mom. the raffles hotel is huge here! you REALLY need to come here! I'm going to Bali in October!!

    ReplyDelete