I've completed a full day in Singapore with everyone back at home in the US just starting theirs. Unfortunately, I saved this blog entry until the very end of working on my laptop and I'm fully exhausted. What was today like? Woke up early to go to SAS (Singapore American School), saw my classroom (very big with lots of technology), the temperature and humidity was not bad (it's hotter in CT right now!) and the hotel I'm staying at is pretty cool. I'm at the York Hotel until we (the other new hires at SAS and I) find our housing. A housing agent is coming to meet me tomorrow and we're going to look at some 1 and 2 bedroom apartments tomorrow. Should probably get rested to be ready for tomorrow- a bit jetlagged. Will write more interesting stuff soon.
What do the people look like? Any good Chinese food? Did you see anybody get caned?
ReplyDeleteDoug-nobody caned. But the kid who was caned went to the school I'm going to be teaching at- SAS. We can read about him here in the "Living in Singapore" books. People look like what you would expect in Asia- and I haven't seen anybody overweight. Kinda weird, except I didn't really notice overweight people that much in the US anyway. Chienese food is really good, but "Hawker stands"- google that- had food that hurt my stomach. That wasn't fun.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe my name is Freya on this thing. I have to see how I can change that.
ReplyDelete